We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
T-46 Light Tank
The T-46 Light Tank was developed in an attempt to improve the mobility of the T-26, the most numerous Soviet tank from the mid 1930s until the German invasion of 1941.
The T-26 suspension consisted of eight small road wheels carried in pairs on small bogies. The bogies were supported in pairs by leaf springs. This was less effective than the Christie suspension used on the BT series of fast tanks, and so in 1935 S. Ginzburg of the OKMO team at Zavod No.185 was ordered to produce a new version of the T-26 using the Christie suspension. A small production run of seventy tanks was planned.
The project was abandoned after the production of a number of prototypes (or possibly of all seventy tanks from the first production run). The T-46 proved to be too complex to mass produce (a flaw that would also cause the failure of the T-25). It also offered little or no benefit over the BT series tanks. Ginzburg and his team were ordered to concentrate on improving the design of the T-26, and produced the T-26S Model 1937. One brigade is known to have used some of the existing T-46s during the fighting in Finland in 1940, where the Red Army suffered a humiliating setback.
Production history [ edit | edit source ]
The T-50 was a light tank developed on the eve of World War II for the Red Army. The experience of the Spanish Civil War led to an effort to upgrade or replace the large Soviet tank fleet. Prior to 1939, most tanks in Red Army service were improved versions of foreign designs. For example, the most numerous tank, the T-26 light infantry tank, was a copy of the British Vickers 6-Ton tank with a Soviet-designed turret and 45 mm gun. However, just prior to and during the war, the USSR developed new light, medium and heavy tanks of wholly indigenous design. The T-50 light tank was intended to replace the T-26 infantry tank in prewar planning, the T-50 was intended to become the most numerous Soviet tank, operating alongside the BT fast tank.
Development of the T-50 started as the SP project (Soprovzhdeniya Pekhoty, ‘Infantry Support’) in 1939 at the OKMO design bureau in the S.M. Kirov Factory Number 185 in Leningrad, under the direction of, and headed by, L. Troyanov and I. Bushnevov, to create a light tank replacement for the T-26 and BT tanks. Initial prototypes, called T-126 and T-127, were not much improved over the T-46-5 project which had been abandoned earlier that year, but the heavier T-126 was selected for further development. The design bureau was gutted during the Great Purge, and was unable to continue the project, so it was transferred to the K.E. Voroshilov Factory Number 174 in Leningrad, May 1940, where two prototypes from the Voroshilovsky and Kirovsky factories were tested. The first 2 vehicles were finished at Factory No. 174 in Leningrad in late 1940. Troyanov completed the T-50 design in January 1941. After a few modifications it was ready for delivery in April 1941. Production was then authorized, but due to technical problems, it was unable to proceed.
In the meantime, a replacement for the BT fast tanks was developed and built at the KhPZ factory in Ukraine, which exceeded its original programme. The result was the very capable and economical T-34 medium tank.
After the German invasion, Operation Barbarossa in June, tank factories were ordered to be transferred to the Urals. Part of OKMO was moved to Omsk after September, and production was finally begun. The T-50 was of an excellent design, but still suffered from technical problems, and at that time was found to be as expensive to produce as the more capable T-34. ΐ] Much simpler T-60 light tanks were already being mass-produced. A total of 69 T-50 tanks were built (only 48 of them armed), before production ended in January 1942.
Some further infantry tank design work on a prototype, called the T-45, continued at Factory Number 174 and the Kirovskiy Factory Number 100. But faced with the need to accelerate T-34 production, and due to a lack of interest from troops in the field, the Soviet infantry tank concept was abandoned.
Description [ edit | edit source ]
T-50 with Finnish markings
The T-50 was an advanced design for its time, with torsion-bar suspension, diesel engine (in common with all the new Soviet tanks) and well-sloped, all-welded armor. An excellent feature was the three-man turret with commander's cupola, which would not appear on other Soviet tanks until 1942. Most Soviet tanks of the 1939-43 era had either one-man or two-man turrets, which are far less efficient in combat than three-man turrets. Additionally, all T-50s had radios, a feature only found on the commander's vehicle in earlier models.
However, the T-50 had several weaknesses to begin with, like many Soviet tanks, it was very cramped inside. The main problems, however, were related to the new V-4 engine developed specifically for this tank, unlike other Soviet light AFVs, which used standard truck engines. The T-60 and T-70 light tanks and the SU-76 self-propelled gun used standard GAZ truck engines. Specialized tank engines, being more expensive to produce, were reserved for higher-performance vehicles. The very mobile BT-8 fast tank, the T-34 medium tank, KV-1, the IS-2 heavy tanks, and their derivatives all used variants of the same standard 12-cylinder model V-2 diesel engine. The V-4 engine was extremely unreliable, and the design flaws could not be worked out. The engine's low reliability and high cost contributed to the demise of the T-50.
Variants [ edit | edit source ]
There were two variants a basic model and an up-armored model. Just prior to the German invasion of the USSR, many Soviet tanks had their armor reinforced with welded or bolted add-on plates. Some Kliment Voroshilov heavy tanks, T-28 medium tanks and T-26 light tanks received add-on armor fittings. A few T-50s also received these add-ons. This up-armored variant is recognizable by the bolt heads that hold the armor added to the turret sides and hull front. The normal T-50 is a very 'clean' looking vehicle by comparison. The uparmored T-50 had 57 mm of armor at its thickest points.
Although developed from the M48 Patton, another interim until replaced by the M60, the M60 series was never officially classified as a Patton tank, but as a "product improved descendant" of the Patton series of tanks. Β] On 16 March 1959, the OTCM (Ordnance Technical Committee Minutes) #37002 standardized the vehicle as the 105 mm Gun Full Tracked Combat Tank M60. Γ] With the US Army's deactivation of their last (M103) heavy tank battalion, the M60 became the Army's first main battle tank Δ] during the Cold War.
TL-191 Uniform, weapons and equipment of the Secondary Combatants.
A photograph of the Quebecois destroyer Trois-Rivieres, circa 1942.
In 1921, the Union Navy as a gift to the fledgling Quebecois Navy three destroyers of the O'Brien class. Which were the USS Nicholson DD-52 (renamed to Renard D-1), USS Winslow DD-53 (renamed Loup D-2), and USS Cushing DD-55 (renamed Ours D-3). These three destroyers would serve the Quebecois Navy until 1945 when they were decommissioned due to their age. In 1938, the Union Navy would transfer another 5 destroyers, which were the Caldwell class USS Gwin DD-71 (renamed Saguenay D-4), the Wickes class USS Kimberley DD-80 (renamed Trois-Rivieres D-5), USS Hazelwood DD-107 (renamed Saint-Jerome D-6), and the Clemson class ships USS Laub DD-263 (renamed Joliette D-7), and USS Litchfield DD-336 (renamed Matane D-8). These destroyers served throughout the Second Great War with the Quebecois Navy serving the roles of patrolling the Saint Laurence River and escorting merchant ships going in and out of the river. The Destroyer Saguenay would be notable for sinking the Confederate submarine CSS Anglefish while the latter ship was attacking a convoy into the Gulf of Saint Laurence on 22nd September, 1941 (which the former ship was escorting.) After the end of the war in 1947, the remaining Pre-War destroyers would be decommissioned and replaced by three ships from the Edsall class of Escort Destroyer.
Two Postwar Japanese AFVs
I could see the Germans developing something like the CZECH BRNO MODEL ZK420-S.
View attachment 516011
A Lohner-Werke LW. 175 of the 12th Austrian Fighter Squadron, Northern Ukraine, circa December of 1943.
(Pretty much a P-40 Warhawk with the trail section and a Hispano-Suiza Engine from an Ikarus S-49)
Very nice! I see you're using a variation of my Austro-Hungarian Roundel. I like that this isn't just a recolored Messerschmitt or Heinkel design, i've seen too many of those.
The list of smalls arms of the Austro-Hungarian Forces
Walther P-38 - 9x19mm. Supplied in their thousands during SGW to Austria-Hungary to compensate for the lack of modern pistols.
FEG M. 1937/37M "Femaru" - .380 ACP. Standard issue pistol for KuK Austrian and Joint Army Barrel Crews and Pilots and Standard Issue pistol for the Hungarian Army from 1937 all the way to the 1960s.
FEG M. 1929/29M - .380 ACP. Standard issue pistol for KuK Austrian and Joint Army Barrel Crews and Pilots and Navy Ship Crews and Standard Issue pistol for the Hungarian Army from 1929 all the way to the 1960s.
Steyr-Hahn M. 1912 - 9x23mm. Standard issue pistol for the KuK Armed Forces during both Great Wars before being replaced by the M. 1950 pistol (which is a licensed copy of the Swiss SIG P 220.)
Roth-Steyr M. 1907 - 9x23mm. Standard issue for the KuK Army during the First Great War, but was mostly withdrawn to 2nd Line units, the Navy, and the Police during the SGW.
Dreyse M1907 - .32ACP. Purchased in their thousands during the FGW for Front Line units and later used by pilots and barrel crews during the SGW.
Frommer Stop - .32ACP. Used by the Strumtruppe of the KuK Army during the First Great War, ultimately being used by 2nd Line Units and the Police during the SGW.
Mauser C96 - 7.63x25mm. Purchased in their thousands during the FGW for Front Line units and later used by the Police, Navy, and 2nd Line units during the SGW.
Steyr-Mauser M. 1922 - 7.92x57mm. Standard issue service rifle for the KuK Austrian Army and Navy during the Second Great War with a total of 4.3 million rifles produced between 1922 and 1951. Also some saw service with the KuK Joint Forces during the conflict.
FEG 32M - 8x56mmR. Standard issue rifle for the KuK Hungarian Armed Forces during the Second Great War with a total of 1,045,000 rifles being produced between 1932 and 1943.
FEG 42M - 7.92x57mm. A modification of the 32M service rifle which included a turned down bolt, Mauser style magazine, and re-chambered for 8mm Mauser for logistical reasons. Around 2 Million produced between 1942 and 1949.
Steyr-Mannlicher M. 95/34 /31M - 8x56mmR. The mainstay rifle of the KuK Joint Army and secondary service rifle for the Hungarian Army during the SGW as well as being the main rifle for KuK rear area troops. Essentially a conversion of the older M. 95 long rifles.
Steyr-Mannlicher M. 1895 - 8x50mmR. The standard service rifle with the Austro-Hungarian Armed Forces during the FGW and issued to 2nd Line Units during the SGW.
Brno M. 1934 - 7.92x57mm. The standard self loading rifle for the KuK Austrian forces (though mainly given to their Elite Troops such as the Kaiserjager) during the SGW.
M. 1925 - 7.92x57mm. The standard issue rifle for the KuK Mountain Troops and also for it's Police forces.
Steyr-Solothurn MP. 1934 - 9x23mm. Standard SMG for both the KuK Austrian and Joint Armies which it's high quality of manufacture made it called the "Rolls Royce of SMGs." Production of the gun would be discontinued in 1943 due to it's high cost, but would be used on well into the 1970s.
MP. 1938 - 9x19mm (OTL ZK-383.) The mainstay weapon of the KuK's mountain troops, the MP. 1938 featured a bi-pod, which made it convenient as a support weapon.
MP. 1942 - 9x19mm (OTL Orita M1941.) A simple weapon intended to replace the MP. 1934 from production, the MP. 1942 would prove to a popular weapon with the troops of the Austro-Hungarian Army.
Danuvia 36M/42M - 9x25mm. The standard SMG for the Hungarian Forces during the SGW, proved to be a prized weapon due to it's potent cartridge.
Suomi KP/31 - 9x19mm. 25,000 guns would be purchased by Austria-Hungary from Finland in 1940 and would proved to be somewhat popular with their troops.
MG. 1926 - 7.92x57mm (Hungarian version chambered for 8x56mmR.) Standard LMG for the KuK Armed Forces during the SGW.
MG-34 - 7.92x57mm. Supplied by the Germans during the SGW.
MG. 1937 - 7.92x57mm (OTL ZB-53.) Standard vehicle and heavy machine-gun for the KuK Armed Forces during the SGW.
MG. 1932 - 7.92x57mm (OTL ZB-50.) Standard vehicle and heavy machine-gun for the KuK Armed Forces before being supplanted for production by the MG. 1937.
Schwarzelose M. 07/12/24 / 07/12/30M - 7.92x57mm or 8x56mmR. A modernized version of the Schwarzlose M. 07/12 HMG of FGW vintage.
SMG. 1935 - 15x104mm. Standard large caliber machine-gun of the KuK Armed Forces.
Schwarzelose MG. 1934 - 7.92x57mm. Standard aircraft machine-gun for the KuK Army Air Forces until later in the war.
Solothurn S18-100 - 20mm. The standard anti-barrel rifle for the KuK Armed Forces during the SGW.
RPzB-54. About 128,000 of these Panzerschrecks would be supplied to the KuK Army from Germany.
Unit History: Royal Tank Regiment
The Royal Tank Regiment is an armoured regiment, previously known as the Tank Corps and the Royal Tank Corps. The RTR is part the Royal Armoured Corps and is made up of two operational regiments, the 1st Royal Tank Regiment and the 2nd Royal Tank Regiment.
The corps has had more regiments over time going up as far as the 8th RTR.
In 1923 it was officially named Royal (making it the Royal Tank Corps) by Colonel-in-Chief King George V. It was at this time that the motto Fear Naught, the black beret and the unit badge were adopted. The word Corps was replaced in 1939 with Regiment to give the unit its current name, the Royal Tank Regiment.
In 1920, twelve Armoured Car Companies were set up as part of the Tank Corps, absorbing units from the Machine Gun Corps eight were later converted into independent Light Tank Companies. All disbanded before the outbreak of the Second World War.
In 1933 the 6th Battalion, Royal Tank Corps, was formed in Egypt by combining the personnel of two of these companies in 1934, the 1st (Light) Battalion, Royal Tank Corps was formed in England with personnel from three of the existing battalions.
With the preparations for war in the late 1930s a further two regular battalions were formed the 7th in 1937 and the 8th in 1938. The 40th, 41st, 42nd, 43rd, 44th & 45th battalions were raised in 1938, being converted from Territorial Army infantry battalions, the 46th, 47th, 48th, 49th, 50th and 51st were likewise activated and converted in 1939. The twelve Yeomanry Armoured Car Companies of the RTR were all activated and transferred to the Royal Armoured Corps.
Before the Second World War, Royal Tank Corps recruits were required to be at least 5 feet 4 inches tall. They initially enlisted for six years with the colours and a further six years with the reserve.
The creation of the Royal Tank Regiment was due to the invention of the Tank during the First World War.
The official motto of the Royal Tank Regiment is Fear Naught which is inscribed on the RTR cap badge.
T-46 Light Tank - History
/Vehicles/Allies/USA/ 02-FastTanks/T-46/File/T-46 .htm | Up-dated:
Le T-46 est une tentative d'améliorer les chars T-26 et BT quelque peu obsolètes. Le T-26 avait une mobilité insuffisante (surtout en comparaison avec les BT). A partir de 1935, les ingénieurs russes travaillèrent donc à la réalisation d'un nouveau char léger/rapide devant remplacer le T-26. Le nouveau char pesait un peu plus que les chars BT et comme eux était convertible (marche sur roues ou sur chenilles). Cependant le T-46 était plus un version rapide du T-26 car il conservait la caisse, la tourelle et d'autres équipement de ce dernier.
The T-46 is an attempt to improve the tanks T-26 and BT somewhat obsolets. The T-26 had an insufficient mobility (especially in comparison with the BT). From 1935, the Russian engineers worked therefore to the realization of a new light/fast tank having to replace the T-26. The new tank weighed a little more than the tanks BT and as them was convertible (walks on wheels or on tracks). Nevertheless the T-46 was more a fast version of the T-26 for it preserved the hull, the turret and other equipments of the latter.
Le gros changement provenait du train de roulement qui fut remplacé par un train de roulement similaire à celui des chars BT. Mais ici, la puissance était transmise aux quatre double-galets quand le char était en marche sur roues. De plus deux rouleaux porteurs étaient installés de chaque côté alors qu'il n'y en avait pas sur les chars BT. Peu d'exemplaires furent produits et livrés aux unités et aucune production de masse ne fut lancée. La principale raison était que le T-46 était trop compliqué à produire et comme la production des chars BT continuait il était inutile de produire un char similaire au même blindage et armement. Un seul régiment utilisa des T-46 durant la Guerre d'hiver contre la Finlande en 1940.
The big change originated of running gear that was replaced by a running gear similar to the one of the tanks BT. But here, the power was transmitted to the four double-road wheels when the tank was in walk on wheels. Of more two return rollers were installed every side while it not there some had on the tanks BT. Few copies were producted and delivered to units and no mass production was launched. The principal reason was that the T-46 too was complicated to produce and as the production of the tanks BT continued it was useless to produce a similar tank to the same armor and armament. An alone regiment used the T-46 during the Winter War against the Finland in 1940.
The provision of artillery in the British Army during the Second World War was a key element in the tactical deployment of formations, having played a significant role in the eventual success of the First World War. The Royal Regiment of Artillery (usually known simply as the Royal Artillery) was the largest regiment in the British Army in numerical terms, with the mottoe of ‘Ubique’ being an accurate description of its service across the world.
There were various types of regiment within the Royal Artillery. The main types of regiment were and their usual equipment were:
Field Regiment (25 pounder field guns – some regiments being self-propelled),
Medium Regiment (5.5″ medium guns),
Heavy Regiments (7.2″ and 155mm guns),
Super Heavy Regiments (9.2″ guns).
Other types of regiment were:
Anti-Tank Regiments (2 pounder, then 6 pounder, then 17 pounder anti-tank guns),
Light Anti-Aircraft Regiments (40 mm Bofors light anti-aircraft guns),
Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment (3.7″ heavy anti-aircraft guns).
The standard establishment of an artillery regiment at the beginning of the war was a Headquarter Battery, and two batteries each battery having two Troops each with four guns. Following the experience of the Campaign in France and Flanders in 1940, when the regiments re-equipped in late 1940 and early 1941, a third battery was formed again with two Troops each with four guns.
For further information, I recommend the following websites:
T-46 Light Tank - History
Units That Served With The 7th Armoured Division
During its history the 7th Armoured Division many different units served with the Division and its Brigades. I have tried to include as many as possible with as much information as possible, but I apologise is I have omitted any.
This will include the Armour , Infantry , Artillery , Royal Engineers & REME , RAMC and ADC , RASC , RAOC , Royal Corps of Signals , Royal Army Chaplains Department and Other Units, listed below. Along with this page there are pages dedicated to explaining more of the history of as many of the units shown here as possible.
Towards the bottom of this document you can also find out information on the British Army, such as the Regimental System , Order of Precedence and Structure .
If you wish to go direct to the pages for each regiment please click on the links below
Kings Dragoon Guards
Artillery Regiments, (including Anti-Tank and Anti-Aircraft)
Royal Engineers & Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
22nd Armoured Brigade Workshop, REME
131st Brigade Workshop, REME
15th Light AA Regiment Workshop
7th Armoured Troops Workshop, later re-designated 812th Armoured Troops Workshop (28th September 1944)
Divisional Workshops, RAOC
Divisional Ordnance Field Park, RAOC
Divisional Forward Delivery Workshop Section, RAOC
1st Light Repair Section, RAOC
2nd Light Repair Section, RAOC
3rd Light Repair Section, RAOC
1st Light AA Regiment Workshops, RAOC
15th Light AA Regiment Workshops, RAOC
22nd Armoured Brigade Ordnance Field Park, RAOC
131st Brigade Ordnance Field Park, RAOC
Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC) & Army Dental Corps (ADC)
2nd Light Field Ambulance
7th Light Field Ambulance
13th Light Field Ambulance
14th Light Field Ambulance
15th Light Field Ambulance
7th Light Field Hygiene Section
70th Field Hygiene Section
21st Mobile Casualty Clearing Station
7th Field Transfusion Unit
29th Field Dressing Station
The British Regimental System
The modern British Army was born in 1660 after the Stuart restoration to the throne and in the subsequent three and a half centuries the British army evolved from a very small insular establishment to a imperial force, covering most areas of the world, before returning the force we see nowadays.
Loyalty to a regiment or corps is a peculiar characteristic of the British Army, for whereas a British or Commonwealth soldier considered his loyalty to be his regiment, a German soldier's loyalty was to his Division. Over the years each regiment is a family zealously guarding its heritage and traditions, and during the heyday of this system (1881-1956) personnel were not normally transferred out of the family against their will. It was normally not possible to transfer to a unit with lower precedence than the one a soldier was serving in. This 'esprit de corps' is a nebulous quality that has on occasion snatched victory from the jaws of defeat, with troops rallying to the colours to fight on. However, towards latter part of the 20th century it was starting to be considered as an inefficient anachronism, but despite several attempts to dismantle this system, since 1945, the Army of the 1990s and early 21st century still thrives on it. Like many British institutions, the regimental system evolved haphazardly rather than by any conscious design.
A battalion is typically an infantry unit consisting of several companies, being under the command of a Lieutenant Colonel. Most regiments in the British Army were originally single-battalion units, with the battalion being the tactical unit and the regiment was its spiritual counterpart. Aristocratic generals owned and controlled and outfitted their regiments. Occasionally a regiment would have multiple battalions, and in the 18th and early 19th century, such multi-battalion regiments were usually called corps.
At a tactical level a Regiment was traditionally been a mobile unit such as Cavalry or Artillery, still under the command of a Lieutenant Colonel. Originally, artillery was only organised and fought at battery level being attached to brigades and divisions as necessary, but early in the 1900's Brigades Of Artillery were formed consisting of 2 to 4 batteries. Later, in the 1930's these Brigades became the Regiments we now know.
The Infantry, which has strongly resisted the creation of the "corps of infantry", is special. It is within the Infantry that the uniquely British regimental system has evolved. Administrative reforms in the latter part of the 19th century inadvertently bolstered unit cohesion and 'esprit de corps'. Regular regiments were numbered in order of seniority in 1751, and in 1782 most were accorded a territorial (county) title as well. For almost a century these titles helped foster esprit de corps, but they largely remained a fiction as far as the regiment's territorial identity was concerned. In 1872 Britain was divided into brigade districts, which followed county boundaries, with regular and volunteer units grouped around a regimental depot for administration and basic training. Two regular battalions would theoretically take turns as the home (recruiting and training) and overseas service units. Two Militia battalions would serve as trained reserve in case of local emergency. In 1881 these districts were formally merged into new regimental identities, and the volunteer movement of 1859 was soon linked into the system. The county regiment had thus been solidified, with anywhere between four and a dozen battalions sharing in the regimental family's traditions. An essential ingredient in this mix was two centuries of accumulated glory that translated into tribal distinctions. Regimental cap badges typically embody a symbolic representation of a significant event in the regiment's history.
Key elements of the regimental system are the Colonel and the Colonel-in-Chief. With roots going back to the 18th century when colonels owned and equipped their regiments, the Colonel of today is the head of the family and responsible for the protection of the best interests of the regiment. He is almost always an officer of general rank who at one time served in the regiment. A more ceremonial and visible but equally important position is the Colonel-in-Chief, who is always a member of the royal family. This position helps fuse the regiment into the national fabric. Regiments often take their name from a one-time association with the royal family. Every "King's", "Queen's" and "Prince of Wales's" regiment derives its title from a specific royal who held that title. Once honoured with such a title, the regiment keeps it for life. For example, The Green Howards (Princess of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire) derived its subtitle from its association with Alexandra, consort of Edward VII, while that couple were still the Prince and Princess of Wales -- and the regiment still uses Alexandra's cypher as its badge. Due principally to the intermarriage of Queen Victoria's children with foreign royalty, many European monarchs were at one time colonels of British regiments -- including the emperors of Russia and Germany. Still holding such positions are the monarchs of Norway, Denmark and the Netherlands. These colonelcies exist throughout the Commonwealth nations that still recognise the Queen as Head of State.
Although the system, which created these unique regiments, has been eroded since 1948, the strong identities, which it created, have persevered. The Regular Army was reduced to single-battalion regiments, and the latter have been subjected to repeated mergers. The Militia was abolished. The Territorial Army has repeatedly seen its battalions severed from their Regular counterparts, particularly in 1967 and again in 1999. Regimental families have been replaced by brigade and division administration schemes. These administrative brigades and divisions (e.g. Lancastrian Brigade, and Queen's Division) should not be confused with tactical brigades and divisions, which are formations.
Over the centuries the British Army structure has generated an Order of Precedence with the individual regiments and units that make it up.
Orders of Precedence were first set down for the British Army in the Royal Warrant of 12th September 1666.
"For the preventing of all Questions and Disputes that might arise for and concerning the Ranks of several Regiments, Troops and Companies which now are or at any time hereafter shall be employed in our Service. We have though good to issue out these following Rules and Directions .
First as to the Foot, that the Regiment of the Guards (Grenadier) take place of all other Regiments. the General's Regiment (Coldstream) to take place next, the Admiral's immediately after, and all other Regiments and Colonels to take place according to the Date of their Commissions .
2nd. As to the Horse, that the three Troops of Guards (Life Guards) take place before all others. That the King's Regiment of Horse (Royal Horse Guards) take place immediately after the Guards. "
A further Warrant was issued on 6th February 1684 and this included those regiments that had been in the garrison at Tangier, including The Royal Scots. The latter were placed, by virtue of the date that they were raised, at the head of the list of Regiments of Foot and immediately behind the Guards.
This order of seniority was changed by King William's Royal Warrant of 10th June 1694 which ordered that a regiment's seniority dated not from the date of its raising but from the date that it entered the English Establishment. There was considerable confusion and dissatisfaction and eventually in 1718 a Board convened to examine competing claims and lay down a new order of precedence of the regiments. The resulting list owed more to the power and influence of individual colonels than it did to either logic or historical accuracy.
The Order of Precedence gave the commanders the choice of 'Right of Line', which effectively meant that at one time they could chose where to position their unit on the battlefield, normally on the right flank. In this position they would normally be expected to turn the enemy left flank and win the day.
By 1861 the order of precedence was firmly laid down and included those regiments transferred from the East India Company after the Mutiny. The list was headed by The Life Guards (numbered 1st and 2nd), Royal Horse Guards, the Royal Horse Artillery followed by, Dragoon Guards (numbered 1st to 7th), Dragoons, Hussars and Lancers (numbered 1st to 21st), Royal Regiment of Artillery, Corps of Royal Engineers, Foot Guards, Infantry of the Line (numbered 1st to 109th) and the Rifle Brigade.
Over the last two hundred years, the basic relative tactical hierarchy has remained fairly static. The table below shows the basic British Army structure, but please note that in all cases there would have been various support units at the higher levels in addition to the fighting formations shown:
A unit consisting of two or more Armies
A unit consisting if two or more Corps, plus supporting units such as Artillery Group Royal Unit (AGRA)
A unit consisting if two or more Divisions or one Division and an independent Brigade, plus supporting units such as artillery.
A unit consisting if two or more Brigades, plus Divisional HQ and supporting units such as artillery, armoured cars, transport, etc.
A unit consisting if two or more Battalions or Regiments, plus Brigade HQ
Battalion (Infantry or Tank)
A unit consisting if two or more Squadrons for a Tank Battalion or three or more Companies and normally including a support company with heavy weapons such as Mortars, Medium/Heavy Machine Guns and Anti-tank guns for an Infantry Battalion, plus Battalion HQ.
Regiment (Cavalry [including those converted to Armoured units] or Artillery)
A unit consisting if two or more Squadrons (Cavalry) or Batteries (Artillery), plus Regimental HQ
Company (Infantry and Engineers) 
A unit usually consisting three Platoons, plus Company HQ
A unit usually consisting three Troops, plus Squadron HQ
A unit usually consisting two or three Troops, plus Battery HQ
Platoon (Infantry and Engineers)
A unit usually consisting three Sections, plus Platoon HQ
Lowest level formation of Cavalry and Artillery units
Lowest level formation of Infantry and Engineer units, normally consisting of 8 men commanded by a Corporal.
 Some Royal Engineer units were also know as Squadrons but otherwise followed the infantry organisation.
Much like Randomly generated soldiers, some tanks in the first Call of Duty game can have a randomly generated name. In most cases, they refer to the nation to which the tanks belong.
Call of Duty 2
- Angel Maker
- Lucky Lucy
- Jerry's Medicine
- Her Majesty
- Storm Crow
- Dust Devil
- Divine Intervention
- Bloody Mary
United States of America
- Laughing Joe
- Detroit Iron
- Mississippi Mama
- Big Bertha
- Wicked Witch
Although no Russian tanks appear in the game, a list of names is present in the game file. It includes some name of the American list, the British list and a unique name, "Desert Devil", although it may be the first version of the name "Dust Devil" from the UK list.
- Angel Maker
- Lucky Lucy
- Greta Garbo
- Desert Devil
- Hole in One
- Wicked Witch
- Laughing Joe
- Jerry's Medicine
- Her Majesty
Call of Duty 3
- Dla Polski
- Stalowa Trumna
- Specjalny Pakunek
United States of America
Treyarch developers re-used some name from both US and UK Call of Duty 2 table and added a lot new name.
- Five Day Express
- Holly Roller
- Grand Slam
- Iron Cowboy
- The Beast
- Berlin or Bust
- Home Run
- Odd Ball
- The Cruncher
- Daisy Stomper
- Widow Maker
- Steel Coffin
- Manifest Destiny
- Heavy Hitter
- The Big Stick
From US CoD2
From UK CoD2
Call of Duty: World at War
Certain T-34s in the campaign draw names from a Soviet-specific name pool. They are listed below. Note that names with three "x"s instead of a number can be assigned any number between 100 and 600.
Despite being cut from the game, tank names remain in the files. All names are from Call of Duty 2.
- Angel Maker
- Lucky Lucy
- Jerry's Medicine
- Her Majesty
- Storm Crow
- Dust Devil
- Divine Intervention
United States of America
Treyarch developers re-used names from US Call of Duty 2 table and US Call of Duty 3 table with only one changed to reflect the Pacific theater.
Soviet Light Tank Object 116: Creating the impossible vehicle
Even before the Soviet light tank T-38 officially entered service, it became obvious the vehicle didn’t satisfy even half the requirements asked when it was first requested. In addition, the concept of an amphibious light tank with purely machine-gun armament, introduced by the British to the Soviets, turned out to be completely outdated by 1936.
Unfortunately, the Soviet tank industry could not offer anything better at the time. As an alternative, to the T-38 series, the T-43 series was proposed, as well as improved versions of the earlier T-37 series, but none of them fulfilled the requirements. In order to close this gap, the new chief of the ABTU, Bokis, ordered the creation of a completely new reconnaissance tank, designed to conduct long-range reconnaissance and long-range raids in groups”.
Technical requirements issued in the fall of 1937, stated the vehicle shouldn’t be amphibious, with a wheel-track type of the BT series and a mass not higher than 8 metric tons. The armament should include a 12.7mm DK machine gun, with 500 rounds, mounted in the turret and a 7.62mm DT machine gun in the hull with 2,500 rounds.
The tank received the designation of T-51 and was developed as part of the “Castle” project, where the Swedish Landsverk L-30 wheeled/tracked tank was taken as the basis. The choice in favour of the Scandinavian vehicle wasn’t accidental, the L-3 was well protected, its armament included a 37mm gun and two machine guns, and most importantly, the crew could change between tracks to wheels and back, without having to leave the vehicle.
Object 116. T-116 Light Tank
However, by January 1938, the requirements from ABTU were significantly changed. The new requirements demanded the vehicle to be equipped with a 45mm or a 37mm gun. Ammunition was also changed respectively to 61 rounds and 1,3000 rounds. The crew was increased to three to include the loader.
These changes were quite reasonable, especially considering the experience gained while using light tanks in the Spanish civil war, showing that the concept used in the L-30 had been completely abandoned. According to the new project, the change would be carried out like in the BT series tank, with the removal of the tank tracks, allowing the tank to move with it’s road-wheels. It was also supposed to have a PT-1 and T-29 aircraft engine, with a 270 hp, giving it an estimated speed of 70 km/h. The armour would be more consistent with the T-26 series, with vertical armour plates ranging 13 to 15 mm thickness, while hull and turret roof would be 8 mm thick. According to the designers, the vehicle should be able to protect it’s crew against 12.7mm calibre guns, at a distance of up to 200 meters.
The tank received the name of Object 116 (T-116), but this change had no effect on its future fate. According to the ABTU estimates, it was impossible to create a light tank with the required performance and a mass of only 8 metric tons. This ultimately decided it’s fate, all work on the T-116 was cancelled and the project was scrapped at the beginning of 1938.
Source: Object 116 – Aviarmor.net
Tank Nut and Gamer Wannabe! Huge fan of tanks and World War II history. Playing since I was six years old, from Streets of Rage on my Sega Mega Drive to World of Tanks, I’ve never stopped since and will always love games. Huge World of Tanks fan and by far, the game I’ve played for the longest time. If you like my content, please consider donating.