San Pablo AVP-30 - History

San Pablo AVP-30 - History

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

San Pablo

(AVP-30: dp. 2,619, 1. 310'9", b. 41'2"; dr. 12'7"
s. 18.5 k.; cpl. 367; a. 2 5", 8 40mm., 8 20mm.; cf.
Barnegat )

San Pablo (AVP-30) was laid down on 2 July 1941

by the Associated Shipbuilding Co., Seattle, Wash. launched on 31 March 1942; sponsored by Mrs. W. A Hall; and commissioned on 15 March 1943, Comdr. R. Darron in command.

Following commissioning and outfitting, San Pablo conducted shakedown in the Puget Sound area and then steamed to San Diego for readiness training. On 15 June, the small seaplane tender departed the west coast and headed for the South Pacific. At Espiritu Santo, San Pablo embarked marines and deck cargo

then proceeded to Noumea, New Caledonia. After offloading there, she went to Brisbane, Australia, to pick up the flight crews and aviation supplies, including spare parts and fuel, of patrol squadron VP-101; then returned to Noumea to commence operations as tender and base for "Black-Cat" (night-fighting, air-search, and reconnaissance) PBM's and PBY's.

With VP-101 and assigned crash boats, San Pablo formed Task Group 73.1 and established their seaplane base by charting the bay, setting out mooring and marker bouys, and constructing quarters for squadron personnel at nearby Honey Hollow. They also built an advanced base at Samarai, Papua, New Guinea. For the next several months, the "Black Cats" operated from these bases, preying on enemy shipping along the coasts of New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland, and in the Bismarck Sea. They inflicted great losses on inter-island barge traffic as well as to heavy shipping; harassed enemy troops with night bombing and strafing missions; conducted photo intelligence operations provided at-sea search and rescue support for downed Army fliers and sailors of sunken vessels; and carried high ranking officers, friendly coast watchers, and native guerrilla units.

While continuously on the alert for enemy air attack, San Pablo sailors worked around the clock to fuel, repair, arm, and control the seaplanes, and to feed and care for their crews. On 9 October, she was relieved by Half Moon (AVP-26) and sailed to Brisbane for long needed repair, replenishment, and shore leave. She returned to Noumea on 20 December and resumed operations with VP-52. During January 1944, she gave direct support to the force which occupied Finschhafen, New Guinea, and helped to establish a new advance base at Langemak Bay. At times, she also tended the planes of VP-34, then flying rescue missions for the 5th AAF from Port Moresby. She once temporarily based two OS2U scout planes from Boise ( CL-47).

From Langemak Bay, San Pablo's planes helped to prevent the Japanese from supplying garrisons on Rabaul and Kavieng. On 25 February, relieved again by Half Moon, San Pablo returned to Noumea for repairs alongside Dobbin (AD-3). During the work, she assisted in removing a screw from Aaron Ward (DM34) using her seaplane winch. This speeded repairs to the destroyer-minelayer and allowed her to reach Ulithi in time to prepare for the forthcoming Okinawa campaign.

By 24 March, San Pablo was conducting operations at Seeadler Harbor, Admiralty Islands, with VP-3 and VP-52 planes. They carried out night bombing missions in the Carolines and search flights by day. The pace had so quickened by the end of March that Tangier (AV-8) was brought in to help carry the load. On 13 May, they moved to Hollandia to patrol the approaches to Wake Island prior to Allied landings there. Relieved by Orca (AVP-49) on 26 May, Sun Pablo then refueled PT boats at Humboldt Bay and transported personnel and cargo between Manus Seeadler, Emirau, and Woendi. On 19 August, she commenced ASW patrols with VP-11 planes at Woendi and, during October and November, conducted ASW operations off Morotai and Hollandia. Later relieved by San Carlos (AVP-51), she moved to Anibong on Bay Leyte, to support planes conducting search missions in the Philippines.

On 8 December, San Pablo received survivors of Mahan (DD-364) who had been picked up by one of her PBM's after that destroyer had suffered three kamikaze hits and sank in Ormoc Bay. She then joined a convoy en route to Mindoro and came under severe attack by suicide planes for ten consecutive days. Most of the kamikazes were beaten off by AA fire from the convoy screen or by CAP planes. However, one hit an ammunition ship which completely disintegrated in a tremendous explosion, and another crashed into a Liberty ship and caused severe damage. On 30 December at Mindoro, a Val barely passed astern of San Pablo and crashed into Orestes (AGP-10), wounding four San Pablo men with shrapnel. On the 31st, a Betty bombed nearby Porcupine (IX-126) and then crashed into Gansevoort (DD-608). Through January and early February 1945, San Pablo made search missions in the South China Sea and along the China coast with VPB-25 and VP-33 squadrons. On 13 February, she was relieved by Tangier and returned to Leyte.

Through April, she escorted LST-777, Chestatee (AOG-49), and various merchant transports between Leyte and Palawan. She then steamed, via Morotai, to Manus. At the end of June, she moved to Samar and the Lingayen Gulf area for air search and rescue operations in the South China Sea-Formosa area. These lasted until 15 August when she received orders to cease offensive operations. On 2 September, the day of Japan's formal surrender ceremony, San Pablo was in Lingayen Gulf providing ASW patrols to cover Occupation convoys bound for Japan.

San Pablo returned to Bremerton, Wash., on 17 November to prepare for inactivation. She moved to Alameda, Calif., on 25 March 1946 and remained idle until placed out of commission, in reserve, on 13 January 1947.

Following conversion to a hydrographic-survey vessel, San Pablo was recommissioned on 17 September 1948 at San Francisco, Comdr. T. E. Chambers in command. She conducted shakedown training off San Diego from 29 October to 15 November and was then Ordered to report to the Norfolk Naval Shipyard. San Pablo reached Portsmouth, Va., on 14 December and completed outfitting prior to sailing on 3 February 1!)49 in company with Rehoboth (AVP-50) for oceanographic work in the western approaches to the Mediterranean. Calling at Ponta Delgada, Azores, Plymouth England, Gibraltar, and Bermuda, she returned to Philadelphia on 18 April. During the remainder of the year, she conducted two similar cruises to survey and measure ocean currents, and, during the last made a study of the North Atlantic Drift. She included in her ports of call Scapa Flow; the Orkney Islands; Oslo, Norway; and Copenhagen, Denmark. San Pablo was redesignated AGS-30, effective 25 August 1949.

Beginning 18 January 1950, she conducted a survey of the Gulf Stream; and, from 5 to 26 June, served as Survey Headquarters Ship for a group of American and Canadian vessels engaged in broad coverage behavioral studies of that massive current. After a cruise to Casablanca, French Morocco, in July and August, she returned to the east coast of the United States to conduct survey operations between New London and Key West for the remainder of the year.

During 1951, San Pablo conducted oceanographic studies during various cruises, ranging from Scotland to the Mediterranean and along the coast in the Narragansett Bay operating area. Her tasks included making accurate profile studies of the ocean bottom for the purpose of evaluating new sonar devices. In 1952 she spent the majority of her time in the North Atlantic, and devoted the latter part of the year to training operations out of Norfolk. From 1953 through 1968 San Pablo alternated between the North Atlantic an the Caribbean conducting studies on salinity, sound reflectivity, underwater photography techniques, deep bottom core sampling, bottom profile mapping, sub surface wave phenomena, and other topics still classified. For several months during 1965, she utilized the port and docking facilities at Rosyth, Scotland, as a temporary home port, courtesy of the British Royal Navy. From 1 January to 29 May 1969, she underwent inactivation at Philadelphia.

San Pablo was decommissioned on 29 May 1969 and struck from the Navy list on 1 June. After being used by the Ocean Science Center of the Atlantic Commission, Savannah, Georgia, she was sold on 14 September 1971 to Mrs. Margo Zahardis of Vancouver, Wash.

San Pablo earned four battle stars for World War II service.


The San Pablo community dates back to the early 1800’s when the Castro Family received almost 20,000 acres in a Spanish land grant. It was the home of Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado, the first native-born governor of the State of California who had married one of the Castro daughters. The city was incorporated on April 27, 1948.

San Pablo has two museums: the Alvarado Adobe, a replica of the home of Governor Alvarado and the Blume House, a large farmhouse built in 1905 and moved to its present location in 1979 when a shopping center was planned for its original location. A bunk house also was moved and is a part of the museum. We invite you visit the Blume House and the Alvarado Adobe museums in person. Openings of the San Pablo Museums are announced in the city's weekly eNews, and by scheduled appointment via phone at (510) 255-7488, or by Email. Admission is FREE!


  • 1 Construction and commissioning
  • 2 World War II service
    • 2.1 Operations at New Caledonia
    • 2.2 Operations in the New Guinea campaign
    • 2.3 Operations in the Philippines campaign
    • 2.4 Honors and awards
    • 2.5 Inactivation and decommissioning
    • 3.1 Conversion and recommissioning
    • 3.2 Initial operations 1949
    • 3.3 Redesignation
    • 3.4 Later operations 1950-1968
    • 3.5 Inactivation, decommissioning, and final disposition

    Short History – 1908 to 2020

    Beginning in 1942, Point Molate served as a U.S. Navy fuel storage and transfer facility. It closed on September 30, 1995 under the U.S. Department of Defense Base Realignment and Closure Act of 1990. The Navy sold 218 acres of the property to the City of Richmond for one dollar in September 2003. Transfer of the remaining land was completed in March 2010 under an Early Transfer Cooperative Agreement under which the Navy provided the City with $28.5 million for a cleanup approach agreed upon by the parties and the Regional Water Quality Control Board. The cleanup has been largely completed, but monitoring for potential pollutants continues.

    On Nov. 24, 2004 the City of Richmond entered into a Land Disposition Agreement with Upstream Point Molate LLC to sell former Naval Fuel Depot Point Molate for $50 million. In 2011, the Richmond City Council and the Bureau of Indian Affairs rejected the tribal gambling casino proposed by Upstream and the Guideville Band of Pomo Indians following certification of a Final Environmental Impact Report and federal EIS. On February 3, 2015, the federal district court ruled in favor of the City on a lawsuit filed by Upstream and the Guideville Band in 2012. However, the plaintiffs filed an appeal to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Settlement of the litigation was announced via an April 12, 2018 letter from City Manager Bill Lindsay. Major terms include:

    San Pablo AVP-30 - History

    "But perhaps the real star of the film is a 150-foot steel-hulled gunboat, built by Vaughn & Yung (incorrectly spelled Jung) Engineering Ltd. of Hong Kong. The San Pablo herself, river-going home of The Sand Pebbles. An authentic replica of one type of U.S. navy gunboat used in China in the 1920's, the current San Pablo is powered with a diesel engine, will "sleep" a caretaker crew of six and is an ocean-going vessel capable of ten knots. She made the voyage by sea from Hong Kong to Taiwan and then back to Hong Kong, attesting to her stability."

    A national wire service story, dated August 29, 1966, basically told the same story of the San Pablo's future:

    "Movie Gunboat To Become Hotel - The USS San Pablo, quarter-million-dollar 150-foot gunboat built for Robert Wise's The Sand Pebbles has been sold to Hong Kong interests and will serve the war effort in South Viet Nam as a floating hotel. The San Pablo, replica of gunboats that plied the Yangtze during the 1920's, will be towed to Saigon this month. The buyers, Vaughn & Yung, Ltd., will charter the vessel after conversion. Spokemen for the company said it will be used to house American engineers involved in dock construction in Saigon. The ship was built in Hong Kong last year." Newspaper clipping.

    After this nothing else was known about the fate of the San Pablo until I received a letter on November 4, 2008 from Murray Bollen, Mandurah West Australia:

    On March 29, 2009 I received a letter (with photo) from Horrie Hunt, Australia:

    Then a follow-up letter from Horrie Hunt on April 2, 2009:

    ". I have spoken to a person who was a supervisor at Delta Exploration at the time. He lives in this part of the world. Brisbane Australia.

    Delta Exploration (later to become Seiscom Delta) purchased the Nola D in the very early 1970's. She was engineless then and had to be towed everywhere. The last job she was used on was in 1974-1975. This was in the area of the Mahakam River Delta and a place called Bontang in Indonesian Borneo. The photo was taken at Bontang. I last heard of her in a radio message as she was being towed to Jakarta I think in 1975. She was never used again and was sold and scrapped sometime in late 1975 or 1976. The bloke I was talking to is going to Jakarta next week and will ask around to find out about her final destination. Some of the people who worked there then are still in Indonesia. We may still be able to find out exactly what happened.

    San Pablo. She was converted to a base camp for seismic operations. The area between the forward and aft cabins was built in and become a mess room. The aft top cabin area became the Kitchen, Cold rooms and accommodation for the cooks and cleaners. The area directly below was the mechanics workshop. The lower Middle area was the electronics and cable workshop, The forward Top and lower cabin sections were expat accommodation. The bridge (empty) was left bare. The below deck area (Coolie quarters in the movie ) was made into fresh water storage The engine had been removed. If I remember the prop steam engine was still in situ. Fuel tanks were built into the aft steering area. The Power shed was built onto the back deck. All in all she was probably the best base camp I ever stayed on. You could still see the name 'San Pablo' on the stern from where it was cut off.

    Her construction was welded steel, and to make it look like she was a riveted steel boat, all the rivet heads were glued on plastic domes. The steel shutters on the bridge windows were still there and the gun turret mounts were still there. I'll let you know if I hear anymore. "

    A final letter from Horrie Hunt on April 14, 2009:

    "Have a reply back from Jakarta. The Nola D was taken to Singapore and broken up in 1975.

    This is from the person who organised it."

    My thanks to Horrie Hunt and Murray Bollen for providing the information here which has helped to answer the question - "What became of the San Pablo?" - CG

    A Brief History of the Point San Pablo Peninsula

    On New Year’s Day of 1903, the Richmond Record Herald warmly touted the impending construction of a belt line railway, along Richmond’s western waterfront and around Point San Pablo, tying together “…the dozens of factories and great system of docks which are projected to entirely encircle the vast waterfront.” In ten years, it was confidently predicted, the population of the little town of Point Richmond would reach 40,000, and its future of this “magnificent city” would “…exceed the expectations of the most optimistic.” Bold words. And, all things considered, not terribly unrealistic.

    Indeed, within a few short years, the northern portion of the western waterfront was home to many commercial enterprises, including the Standard Oil Long Wharf, a whale oil processing plant, an oil can factory (owned by Standard Oil) at Point Orient, a brick factory (Central Brick, just beyond Point San Pablo), two rock quarries (Blake Bros. and Healey & Tibbetts), a large winery complete with worker housing, a hotel, and a school (Winehaven), and, of course, at Point San Pablo a ship terminal to handle all the cargo being produced at these enterprises. In 1915, the area became even busier, with the opening, at Point Castro, of the Richmond-San Rafael Ferry system. It seemed that the early predictions of economic boom were to be proved correct.

    But by 1920, the summit had already been reached, and a slow commercial decline set in, which has continued to the present day. Prohibition was the death blow to the winery , which struggled along for a few years in the 1920s, selling grape juice and sacramental wine. At the same time, the Healey & Tibbetts quarry, near Point Molate, went under, as did the Central Brick Company.

    The can company at Point Orient was never very successful, and was moved onto the refinery. Things picked up in the early 1940s, when the Navy acquired Winehaven, and set up a fuel depot, using the old winery housing for naval families. Around 1930, Captain Clark, who had begun the Richmond-San Rafael Ferry, strung some old hulks together, and created the Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor, just beyond Point San Pablo. And between the Point and the harbor, there sprang up some fish-processing plants, to handle the tons of sardines brought in by Italian (and other) fishermen. The failure of the sardine run killed this industry, and in its place, in 1956, a whale-rendering plant was erected. In business for 15 years, it closed in 1971, when all whaling in the United States was banned.

    In 1956, with the completion of the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge, car-ferry service on San Francisco Bay came to an end. For a time, the old ferry pier was used for recreational fishing, but by the 1980s, due to lack of maintenance, the pier was no longer usable.

    For a time, some people were attracted to the peninsula by the operation of some steam trains and cars, run by a group of steam train buffs, using part of the old belt line Railway. But the club moved their equipment to Niles, and by the late 1980s, local residents had little reason to venture out on Western Drive. Even the Navy was leaving, and by 1995, the last family had moved out. By 2000, about the only draw was Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor, which was (and is) still in operation, and which provides boat access to the East Brother Light Station, a bed and breakfast facility on the National Register of Historic Places. Point Molate Beach, once the site of a Chinese shrimp camp (which operated until about 1912), had been turned into a city park, but, due to lack of maintenance funding, has been closed for years.
    Today, the Point San Pablo Peninsula is a quiet place, and for most local residents, quite unknown. Its 4.5 miles of waterfront (largely unchanged from its 19th century configuration) await a new future in a new world. Plans are afoot to create (perhaps) a casino out of the old Winehaven building (now also on the National Register). No doubt there will be a struggle between those desiring residential and commercial development and those preferring that the site remain in its natural state, as park land. Whatever the outcome, the Point San Pablo Peninsula represents one of the most beautiful and surprisingly unspoiled segments of waterfront territory on the entire San Francisco Bay, and its future deserves very careful consideration.

    Point Molate Beach Recreational History:
    Click Here to learn about the recreational history of Point Molate Beach from 1930 to 2013.

    You've only scratched the surface of San Pablo family history.

    Average San Pablo life expectancy in 1987 was 81 years. This was higher than the general public life expectancy which was 73.

    An unusually short lifespan might indicate that your San Pablo ancestors lived in harsh conditions. A short lifespan might also indicate health problems that were once prevalent in your family. The SSDI is a searchable database of more than 70 million names. You can find birthdates, death dates, addresses and more.

    San Pablo AVP-30 - History

    Five Views: An Ethnic Historic Site Survey for California

    San Pablo Park
    Berkeley, Alameda County

    San Pablo Park was developed by the City of Berkeley between 1910 and 1914. One of the city's first parks, it includes a playground, ball diamond, and field house. The tract was donated to the city by the Mason McDuffie Company. The May 11, 1910 minutes of the Playground Commission reported, "The Secretary of the Park Commission had telephoned that a portion of the San Pablo Tract would be set aside for use of the Playground Commission if so desired. The offer was accepted and it was decided to ask for three acres near the northern end of the tract." In the spring of 1910, the Playground Commission appropriated $500 to buy equipment to outfit the playground by 1913, a baseball diamond and field house had been installed. The Playground Commission's minutes of its June 11, 1913 meeting included the recommendation "that the same San Pablo Park be put in first class condition that it may be used at the earliest possible moment as a recreation center." The following year, University of California Professor John Gregg, professor of landscape gardening and floriculture, College of Agriculture, laid out plans for San Pablo Park. In September 1914, San Pablo Park was opened as a recreation field. Throughout the early years, the park was steadily improved until it provided two baseball diamonds, two tennis courts, boys' and girls' play sections with outdoor gymnasium apparatus, a field house, and two handball courts. The park quickly won recognition as one of the best recreation fields in the San Francisco Bay Area for several decades, it had the only baseball diamond in the city.

    In late 1930, after San Pablo Park had become a Black neighborhood, the city proposed removing the baseball diamond to build a children's nursery. In light of prevailing discrimination, the residents viewed the City of Berkeley's proposal to remove the diamond as just another example of institutional racism. In an effort to maintain the park's integrity, residents formed the San Pablo Park Neighborhood Council. When the council came into being around 1936, San Pablo Park was the home field for both the Oakland and Berkeley Black baseball teams. Oakland would not permit Blacks to play on that city's athletic fields.

    In 1964, the present San Pablo Park Community Clubhouse was erected at a cost of $200,000. At present, in addition to the clubhouse's formal function as a recreational center, public educational and recreational programs are scheduled in the facility's meeting halls, as are private receptions, social affairs, and neighborhood political activities.

    The park includes a playground, two baseball diamonds, tennis courts, and a recreation center. Surrounding it are neatly manicured tree-lined streets and pastel-colored stucco and clapboard bungalows built after the tract opened in 1914.

    San Pablo Park, Berkeley, Alameda County

    San Pablo Burgos writing yet another story in BCL history books

    Hereda San Pablo Burgos is one of the newer clubs to have joined the Basketball Champions League but it feels like they’ve been there since the beginning, as the team keeps making exceptional results.

    The Spanish squad has made its own modern impressive history year after year, writing out some pages in BCL as well along the way and they will have a chance to build upon it in the upcoming Final Eight Tournament.

    Burgos reached the top, however, not many people know how and when the story started. It may surprise you just how successful the Spanish project has been.

    Five years was all it took

    Five years. That’s how long the professional team of San Pablo Burgos had existed before they rose to the top of Europe.

    The club itself started off in 1994, participating in the provincial league but the professional squad was put together for the first time in 2015 with the idea to become the main representative of the city and join the ACB.

    Burgos needed two seasons in Spain’s second tier in order to grab a promotion and they’ve done it in a convincing fashion, winning all six games in the playoffs.

    Joining the big players was a great success but the hardest part was only awaiting – to stay among them, improve and be competitive.

    One step at a time, and Burgos did just that. They had a fairly safe 14th and 11th spot in their first two seasons in Liga Endesa but then the real jump awaited.

    The 2019-20 campaign was extraordinary for San Pablo Burgos and it’s remarkable that such a young club managed to create such success throughout the year which was probably the most challenging one in recent history due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    It put many clubs worldwide in trouble and even broke some, but Burgos stood strong. The team made it to the Final Four of the Spanish Liga Endesa where they fell to Barcelona in the semifinals while also reaching the very top of the Basketball Champions League.

    Writing out Basketball Champions League history

    San Pablo Burgos won the 2019-20 Basketball Champions League and two facts made that accomplishment even bigger.

    It was the team’s debut season in the competition and not only that but it was the club’s first-ever participation in a European competition.

    And what a run it was. Burgos had to fight for its spot in BCL through the qualifiers and managed to take down a bunch of elite teams on its way to the title.

    They became the first team to win it all after coming through the qualifications and they had to beat Dinamo Sassari, Hapoel Jerusalem, JDA Dijon, and the Final Eight hosts (and former champions) AEK in order to reach the goal.

    It was a convincing run with all three of their wins in the Final Eight coming in a double-digit margin.

    “One and done” some would say, arguing that such success was but a beginner’s luck and the team won’t be able to sustain it, however, Burgos has kept going this year as well.

    The team is fifth in Spain while they succeeded in reaching the Final Eight once again.

    They paced through the two groups without much drama and now the biggest challenges await in the games that will be played out in Nizhny Novgorod.

    The first opponent of San Pablo Burgos will be Hapoel Unet-Credit Holon, another great project that’s been writing the history of its own as this is the first time they’ve gone so far in BCL.

    It can be easy to get ahead of oneself when you’re the reigning champion and the favorite in a clash, however, coach Joan Penarroya is well aware of that and won’t allow it to happen.

    “First of all, we’re only going to think about Holon and nothing else, no other team beyond that. To be honest, I still don’t know that much about them at this point, but it just so happens that I have heard very, very good things about them during this season,” the coach said and added.

    “Here [in the Final 8] you can never ever disregard any opponent, it’s as simple as that.”

    The coach will certainly do all in his power to prepare the squad mentally but, on the other hand, that might be easier in their case as Burgos’ roster features a lot of experienced players.

    Omar Cook, Alex Renfroe, Thad McFadden, Xavi Rabaseda, Ken Horton, Vitor Benite, Dejan Kravic – all of them 30 years old, at least.

    Additionally, Benite, McFadden and Kravic have been in BCL for a while and they are among the winningest players when it comes to playoffs in the competition.

    San Pablo Burgos has a chance to make another historic achievement and become the first team to win the BCL title two years in a row. And they’ve got the tools necessary to do it.

    However, the more important thing is that the club has been standing stable, competes at the top in both the domestic and European league, and whichever way their run in the Final Eight ends, Burgos is here to stay.

    Point San Pablo Yacht Club Our History

    1945 – The Point San Pablo Yacht Club was formed in a wheel house of an abandoned ferry boat off Point San Pablo (now Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor). Plank Owners of the Club (aka Founding Fathers) include: Bill Hutchin, May Hutchin (Considered the Founding Father), Bob Sharp, Jerry Ryan, Dan Boone, Vern Nielson, Alton Speed, Bert Clintsman, Roger Williams.

    1946 – PSPYC becomes incorporated and accepted as a PICYA club.

    1947 – Captain Cook allowed the clubhouse to be built on the beach. The original 8' x 10' shacks are the present heads at the Cutting Blvd. clubhouse. Also built at this time were the covered berths and docks on floating 55-gallon drums. Ongoing building done on the property. Started doing Over the Bottom Races.

    1949 to 1952 – Started getting a reputation as a party club. PSPYC always had live music. The biggest problem at the time was getting drunk and not being able to drive back home. Equipment after WWII was RDF's and some old Lorans.

    1950′s – Over the Bottom Racing was big. Harry Barusch and his boat Mary Kay have many trophies in our display case.

    1957 – Will Heyne joined the PSPYC. During his time, the club was very active in cruising. Many members could be met while cruising up the Sacramento River to the Feather River. At least 10 boats would go up the Feather River every year. Andy Mellin, Will Heyne and Ed Thomas were the first to go offshore cruising. Then David Judd and Hal Hallikanen started joining the cruises. When Will Heyne was Commodore he raised drink prices to 50 cents. It was like the end of the world and they almost threw him out of the club. Beer was 25 cents. Biggest money makers in those days were Bass Derbies, Commodore Balls and Luaus. It was a family club and we did not have a TV then. So, the boat was the big thing. Being a workings man's club, as it remains today, people extended themselves to own a boat. Club dues were $25.

    Early 1960's – Remodeled the galley at the old club. Frank Byrne (Mike Byrne's Father) owned Sterling Paint Company in Emeryville. The mast from Frank's boat went in the garden at the club and Kit Thomas then gave it to Will Heyne where it is now the mast on Leviathan. Larry Knight became the commodore at Aeolian Yacht Club at the age of 18.

    In 1967 - PSPYC moved to Cutting Blvd. and covered berths. Will Heyne's recollection: "We had $45 in the treasury. The membership did nothing we had a ghost of a chance.

    Andy Mellin loaned us $600 and that's how we got the place. When we moved, it was a gamble. We did not know why Richmond (Yacht Club) was moving. We had an idea that it was because they wanted to make a turning basin. After it was proved that they could not make a turning basin there, Richmond Yacht Club was already out. We got to stay because the people of Richmond were upset because Santa Fe (railroad) controlled all the waterfront, and there was no public access. To partially satisfy the city, Santa Fe granted us a lease on a month to month basis. They did build some kind of Tiki bar with mats and scrap. Richmond (Yacht Club) moved out and Point San Pablo moved everything from the old place to the present. First improvement was building the covered births and you had to walk on old wooden planks to get to them. South Dock, was rebuilt because a barge tried to go around and mashed into it. The worst time was tearing out the area where our bar is now. Originally there was another building with two roofs. The current building is actually two buildings the main building and the bar area. Galley, deck, new heads – every Commodore had a project."

    1969 – Sewer Line Construction – Once upon a time we had no sewer lines and we were going to be closed down. Club members, themselves, built the line from the center of Cutting Blvd. to the clubhouse. We had to have a 1/8" per foot fall, so we had a 12-foot deep hole in the middle of Cutting Blvd. This work had to be done at night, and the members performed all the work. For those wondering why the women's heads are elevated, it is for the fall of the sewer line. Will Heyne sold $4000 worth of bonds in one meeting for the sewer project.

    1971 – Mell Jessup put on the biggest luau. Flowers were flown in from Hawaii. It was catered by Trader Vics. We had hula girls, sword dancers, torches and tiki lights. A special tiki bar was built. To date this has been the biggest party at the club. People sat on the floor. 300 people attended.

    1972 – Phil Baker was one of our best Commodores, the best organized and delegated very well. During Phil's reign all officers of the Oakland Power Squadron were members of PSPYC.

    1974 – Bonds were sold to expand the galley. 1986 – Won Opening Day Best Group Entry, sponsored by Disney.

    1996 – Warren Mooney, Bob Lewis, Al Tonelli and Jury Stein pursued purchasing the club with help from the railroad's Industrial Land Development department. Opening Day, 2nd Place by Leo Moretti.

    1997 – Catellus asks us to give them an offer for our current property. Catellus raises rent by 20%.

    1998 January – We make Catellus an offer. March – Santa Fe sells property to ANT. May – Sale agreement sent by ANT. August – Final Sale Agreement signed.

    1999 January 15 – We own the mortgage!

    1969 - Sewer Line Construction – Once upon a time we had no sewer lines and we were going to be closed down. Club members, themselves, built the line from the center of Cutting Blvd. to the clubhouse. We had to have a 1/8" per foot fall, so we had a 12-foot deep hole in the middle of Cutting Blvd. This work had to be done at night, and the members performed all the work. For those wondering why the women's heads are elevated, it is for the fall of the sewer line. Will Heyne sold $4000 worth of bonds in one meeting for the sewer project.

    1971 – Mell Jessup put on the biggest luau. Flowers were flown in from Hawaii. It was catered by Trader Vics. We had hula girls, sword dancers, torches and tiki lights. A special tiki bar was built. To date this has been the biggest party at the club. People sat on the floor. 300 people attended.

    1972 – Phil Baker was one of our best Commodores, the best organized and delegated very well. During Phil's reign all officers of the Oakland Power Squadron were members of PSPYC.

    1974 – Bonds were sold to expand the galley. 1986 – Won Opening Day Best Group Entry, sponsored by Disney.

    1996 – Warren Mooney, Bob Lewis, Al Tonelli and Jury Stein pursued purchasing the club with help from the railroad's Industrial Land Development department. Opening Day, 2nd Place by Leo Moretti.

    1997 – Catellus asks us to give them an offer for our current property. Catellus raises rent by 20%.

    1998 January – We make Catellus an offer. March – Santa Fe sells property to ANT. May – Sale agreement sent by ANT. August – Final Sale Agreement signed.

    Watch the video: Ang Pangangaral Ni San Pablo


  1. Vudorisar

    Will manage somehow.

  2. Ken'ichi

    Accidentally found this forum today and registered to participate in the discussion

  3. Brickman

    The people in such cases say - Ahal would be uncle, looking at himself.

Write a message